Media Venter

a glimpse of Anngiely's opinions and random rabblings about media.

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Who Needs Television When You Have The Internet!

Technology is rapidly changing and is constantly replacing something else. Let me provide you with an example, an eight track. If you grew up after the 1980s, you’re probably thinking what the hell is that? Now, let me mention something your probably more familiar with, Ipods and mp3 players.

According to Internet Daily, people who are on the Internet daily are watching television less and less. A research study, by Nielsen/NetRatings Inc. found that people who go on Yahoo and MySpace on a daily basis are watching 20% less television. Since this fall out, networks are now putting their shows online, such as NBC, ABC, Bravo and Comedy Central. This is a smart tactic of television networks because in a sense, they are gaining back viewers. The Nielsen analyst said Bravo and Comedy Central’s Internet viewer ratings are more than actual their television viewers. This does not come to a surprise to the analyst who states “those two shows are lifestyle channels.” Now what do I think about this. Well I am a MySpace and Yahoo user, but I feel as though, I have been watching less television, not because I’m watching television shows on the Internet, but simply I just don’t have as much time to watch shows. Call me old fashion, but I much prefer watching television shows on an actual T.V. Is it wrong that I like sitting on my couch like lazy slug in front of a 30-inch monitor. Sorry to say, but I found it way more enjoyable than sitting in front of Nip/Tuck my 12 inch Mac PowerBook. Moreover, many, especially college students have hectic lives and more than likely miss their favorite show. Not unless they have Tivo that is.

The Internet can give people who miss television shows an opportunity to watch it. On my laptop, I have seen movies, but not shows. That experience was okay but like I said before watching it in front of the television is more enjoyable for me. I guess it all depends on the person. I’m sure there’s someone still out there in world listening to music on eight tracks.

Oh a little FYI before I end this post, Id like to also point that according to the Lycos, Howard Stern for the sixth year in a row, is the most searched talk radio personality by Web users. By the way for all your Stern fans who don’t have Sirius Satellite Radio, you can listen to him for free from October 25-26. I suggest you all take advantage of this opportunity. Come on, its free!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home