Media Venter

a glimpse of Anngiely's opinions and random rabblings about media.

Monday, November 06, 2006

Borat sucks... NOT!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Last Saturday night I watched the movie, Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan. I knew before watching the movie it was definitely going to be a comedy, especially because Sacha Baron Cohen as known as "Ali G" was going to be the main character. Cohen is known for the "Da Ali G Show." The show is filled with comedic skits similar to Dave Chapelle. The character Borat originated from the Da Ali G Show where he plays a Kazaki television journalist. The people that Borat interview are unaware that he is just a character, not a real Kazakhn journalist.

Before watching the movie, Cohen was interviewed on the Today show, not as himself but as his fictional character, Borat. It was hilarious considering the fact that he played Borat. I was rather surprise it decided to promote his movie as his actual character than himself.

In Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan, Borat travels around America to not only learn about the American culture, but to report it back to his country Kazakhstan (and yes, Kazakhstan is a real country) During the movie, Borat was, well lets say controversial. He poked fun of Jews, homosexuals, women, the war in Iraq and minorities. Now, I'm sure many people found this movie offensive and yes some parts made my jaw dropped at some the jokes made. The movie kept me on my toes - it was funny and I definitely had a good round of laughs. Even though the movie had some highly offensive jokes, I thought it set a good a message to the public which was to make poke fun of stereotypes. There is a thin line of what is appropriate or not, but I believe by being controversial will send the message louder and clearer. I recommend this movie to everyone, but if your easily offended, chances are, its probably not for you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home